Wednesday, March 20, 2019

My Version of The Serenity Prayer




While reading a book titled, "Co-dependedent No More," I was re-familiarized with the Serenity Prayer. I used to be active in a recovery group at our church that used it as a part of the ministry but as in all things, until I dissected it, chewed over the words and personalized it, the beauty and truth of it didn't really strike home. So, here it is...from my own heart: My Serenity Prayer.


"Dear Father, God,
When someone does something that hurts me or makes me feel angry or upset, please help me to remember how good you are to love me & show me grace when I"m motivated by selfishness or insensitivity.
Help me to remember that there will always be evil, pain and sadness in this world.
That it hurts you even more than it hurts me.
That the only remedy is to put on grace & love--that's what made me love you.
Self pity will only keep me a victim.
Anger begets anger and scoffs at grace & mercy.
Help me to see justice as an advantage; not a weapon.
You haven't asked me to change the world; only to make a difference in the lives of the people bound by ignorance & hurt around me. I can't change people or control them. If I try, I will end up frustrated and unhappy and drive away the people who care about me. We all desire to be loved, not controlled.
Show me, Father, and speak to me about how to let go of the desire to strike back, when to keep silent and to pray for the wisdom and the strength to forgive."

No comments:

Post a Comment